Middle Island is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 10,483 at the 2010 census. It is situated between the hamlets of Coram and Ridge, to the west and east, respectively, and Rocky Point and Yaphank to the north and south. The name derives from the fact that it lies approximately halfway between the eastern and western ends of Long Island (Montauk Point and the East River) as well as halfway between the northern and southern boundaries (the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean).
Middle Island is a community in the Town of Brookhaven served by the Longwood Central School District, which at 58 square miles (150 km2) is the largest school district on Long Island. The Longwood Public Library is located in Middle Island.
Parks within Middle Island include Cathedral Pines County Park (formerly a Boy Scout camp) and the adjacent Prosser Pines County Park. Middle Island is surrounded by three public golf courses. Middle Island Country Club and Spring Lake Golf Club are both within Middle Island; Mill Pond Golf Course is just to the south, in Yaphank.
Middle Island is located at (40.885095, −72.943452).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.3 square miles (21.5 km2), of which 8.2 square miles (21.3 km2) is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2), or 0.71%, is water.
Middle Island has many lakes such as Spring Lake, Artist Lake, and Pine Lake (which has a new dock). Middle Island also contains the headwaters of the Carmans River, which originally began at Pfeiffer's Pond on the northeast corner of NY 25 and Old Middle Island Road, but now begins within Cathedral Pines County Park.
The European-American history of Middle Island goes back at least to 1766, when the first Presbyterian church was built. Rev. David Rose, who was also a doctor and a pastor of the South Haven church, covered his immense parish on horseback. He filled his saddle bags with Bibles and medicines to minister to his frontier congregation. In 1766 the parish opened a cemetery just across from the church.
The first schoolhouse was built in 1813 east of the church. In 1837, a new church was built just to the rear of the older one. It served the community for 200 years until the new Christian Education building was built at the Longwood Estate in 1966.
Middle Island gained an influx of Estonian refugees during the 1940s and 1950s mainly around the Pine Lake area.
For over 100 years (until it was burned down in 1971), Pfeiffer's Store was a center of activity for Middle Island and surrounding communities. A nearby lake, known as Corwin's Pond, was renamed "Artist Lake" after painter Alonzo Chappel settled there in 1869.
Search Middle Island Homes for Sale
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.
Today's Market Trends for Middle Island *
* All data pertains to single-family homes